Friday, May 13, 2005

What's Been Done...

1. It looks like I've set up a Friends With Benefits signing in Atlanta. That's an important city for African American books because of the large black population. And what makes this signing even better is that the bookstore is willing to donate 10% of the sales to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Foundation. My fraternity is a huge booster of that, and it will be great to raise the funds. I'm ambitious. I want to get one thousand people to show up for the booksigning.

2. I just finished the third draft on my screenplay. For the past year, my friend Michelle (NYU film school grad) has been going through it line by line, and I'm learning a lot. I'm just now learning the script form, so she's been invaluable.

3. Still working on the story part of the Project Z television script my frat and I are developing.

4. Project X is still going strong. Wrote about three thousand words over the past couple of days.

5. I'm meeting with M.K. Asante today, the brother in UCLA film school. I want to get some pointers for the documentary I want to do next summer. Would love Samuel L. Jackson for the narrator.

6. Next Wednesday, I'm talking with Felicia Henderson, an African American writer who teaches at UCLA, and also wrote on Soul Food, one of the best shows about African Americans in the past decade. This summer is about gaining a perspective on writers and Hollywood from the African American perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great you were able to set up a meeting with Felicia. Also glad to hear Asante got in touch with you. You are making friends fast! THIS is how you make the most of flim school, folks.

Lawrence said...

Thanks for the help Dave! Hey, I told Linda that was going to squeeze UCLA for everything it had, and dammit if I'm not. LOL