Friday, May 06, 2005

Awww...

I'm a bit sad today because my girl Oona King, a British MP I interviewed for The Ways of Black Folks: A Year in the Life of a People, lost her seat yesterday. She's in a tough district in London, with a large population that didn't support the Iraqi War, and she did.

King is the daughter of Preston King, an African American professor, who left the US during the Vietnam War. He'd been drafted, but refused to serve when a Southern draft board wouldn't call him by his last name. He left for the UK as a fugitive, and President Clinton eventually pardoned him.

I was able interview King on a fluke. My frat brother, Oscar, and I were at a meeting and he asked me who I was interviewing for my book. I mentioned that I wanted to interview Oona, and he then told me she was his cousin. From there, it was off to the UK. I hope she bounces back.

No comments: