Saturday, May 14, 2005

I'm truly hyped...

As I continue to talk to black UCLA film school grads, director Julie Dash has agreed to meet with me. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the bomb. Last night, I watched a documentary on IFC called Sisters in Cinema. It detailed Hollywood's abysmal record when it comes to providing opportunities for African American women. It was illuminating because you begin to think about what you think black film is all about, and almost always, an African American male pops into your head. Now, I can't change my gender (uh, I guess there are ways, but you know what I mean), but I'm determined to write strong African American women characters. Maybe that influence comes from my Mills College (all women college) educated wife, but it seems to me that black women are often depicted in a very skewed manner. I hope to change that through my own super duper, personal film manifesto. I'll post my film manifesto later.

No comments: