Thursday, March 30, 2006

A Call From Hermene...


So I get a call from Hermene Hartman, publisher of Savoy. Funny how she decided to call me all of the sudden. Out of the blue. Just out of the goodness of her heart. Long convo cut to the nitty gritty, she tells me that despite all of the evidence to the contrary, she's a responsible person, and that I would get paid...it's just that she didn't know when. Well, that took a load off! I mean, there's nothing like combining the comfort of knowing that you'll get paid, with that ambiguously vague time period of "I don't know when". Whew, that cleared everything up! Glad she called.

In the National Association of Black Journalist forum (an organization I was proudly a member of back when I was a reporter. And I think I just may pay dues again, even though I'm not a reporter now), I think I've sparked a conversation about freelance writers and contributors getting the shaft from some publications. And that is good. So what's next? If no check by Monday, I will go to phase #2 of the accountability campaign for Ms. Hartman and Savoy magazine. Maybe then, we can get a little more specific about the "when" part of when I'm getting paid.

No comments: