Thursday, November 17, 2005

Kid in a Candy Store...

One of the great things about film school is that I get to listen to experts outside of writing. I love the business side of things, and one place I get to learn the biz is in a producer's class. Terry Press, Director of Marketing at Dreamworks, is a funny, gruff, and highly intelligent teacher of marketing, and she's been showing us the ropes of what it takes to market a movie. The woman can literally tell you how much any given movie is going to make before it comes out. She KNOWS her shit, and I like people who KNOW their shit. Today, she brought in Laurence Mark, producer of movies such as Jerry Maguire and As Good As It Gets. This is why I went to film school. He was great. He explained how African American movies are marketed and his movies in general, from the best to the worst. He's on my list of people to call once I have scripts ready.

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

It really is. If you are of a certain personality type, it's a bit like being in paradise. Others may simply think it's run of the mill. But there's nothing like gaining more and more info that can ultimately allow you to be successful.